Broad-spectrum antibiotics are used to treat bacterial infections in living organisms including humans, animals, and birds. Anti-bacterial (anti means against, and bacterial means bacteria/germs) medicine are differentiated in classes, like cephalosporins, macrolide antibiotics, quinolones, penicillin, etc. Some antibacterial drugs kill bacteria by disturbing the mechanism of bacterial cell wall synthesis and others (like metronidazole) work by restricting the bacterial over-growth or over-replication.
Simplicef belongs to the cephalosporin class of antibiotics. It contains an active ingredient called Cefpodoxime proxetil. Cephalosporins are the best beta-lactam antibiotics that kill or control bacterial growth by disrupting the bacterial cell wall.
This article is just for the information purpose only. We don’t suggest or recommend any medication or brand. Consult your dog’s veterinary doctor before taking any kind of medicine for your pet.
Cefpodoxime, a strong antibiotic drug, is used to treat all kinds of bacterial infectious diseases including nose infection, eye infection, bladder infection, kidneys bacterial diseases, liver, ear, stomach, skin, wounds, abscesses, periodontal diseases, and other soft tissue infections that are not described here.
This is a highly effective composition against bacteria, who has a cell wall. It does not work against bacterial infections caused by cytoplasmic or mycoplasmic bacteria that do not have a cell wall. However, Simplicef film-coated tablets are effective against a broad range of gram-positive and gram-negative types of germs.
In the following article, I decided to share some of the simplicef alternative brand names that the veterinarians are prescribing for dogs, cats, and other small animals in the United States of America.
Simplicef is a Zoetis pharmaceutical product, the company has also provided many other best veterinary antibiotics for animals, e.g, Zeniquin (marbofloxacin). It’s an FDA approved antibiotic drug for dogs. 2.3 milligrams/pound to 4.5 milligrams/pound is the recommended dose for cefpodoxime in canine.
Bantan and Vantin are the same alternative brand names to simplicef for dogs. But if you’re looking for the best alternative broad-spectrum, highly effective, most prescribed for dogs antibiotics, then you must read the below section.
Best Cefpodoxime Alternatives For Dogs
- Clavamox (contains amoxicillin trihydrate and clavulanic acid) Chewable tablets, liquid oral suspension, and drops.
- Zeniquin (contains marbofloxacin) Tablets, a fluoroquinolone antibiotic drug, effective against a variety of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria.
- Baytril (contains enrofloxacin) Tablets, a fluoroquinolone (strong) antibiotic, used to treat all types of bacterial diseases.
Topical Antibiotic Creams For Dogs
- Neomycin/Polymyxin B topical cream and ointment uses to treat all kinds of wounds, and bacterial skin infections.
- Bacitracin topical ointment.
- Mupirocin antibacterial cream for dogs.
- Fusidic acid 2% cream and ointment for topical bacterial infections.
- Clindamycin cream.
- Chlorhexidine topical application.
Cephalosporins For Dogs
- Cephalexin (Brand name: “Rilexine”, FDA approved drug for dogs)
All antibiotics are prescription items. They need a valid veterinary prescription to buy online or from your local drugstore. Unncesessary usage of antibacterial drugs may cause antibiotic resistence in the body. Antibiotic resistence is harmful.
List Of Most Prescribed Antibiotics For Dogs
- Doxycycline Hyclate