Nowadays, there is a vast list of medicines available (in the market) to safely treat infectious diseases in canines. More of them (antibiotics) are FDA approved drugs that efficiently treat a broad range of bacterial infections caused by aerobic, anaerobic, gram-positive, and gram-negative bacteria.
Clavamox is one the best veterinary medicine that effectively kills bacteria by inhibiting bacterial growth as it restricts the process of bacterial cell wall synthesis. Hence, stops the process of over-population and replication of bacteria.
There is no doubt that Clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate and clavulanic acid) provides excellent results when used to treat soft tissue infections, ear/nose and eye infections, sore throat, tooth infections, abscesses, and others not described here.
Clavamox is a veterinary medication. So, it can be used for canines, felines, and other small animals.
However, if a dog is allergic to penicillins (penicillin-type antibiotics) or any other drug. Then you must consult your dog’s veterinarian before giving any kind of medication (including CLAVAMOX) to your pet.
Warning: Clavamox is a Penicillin
Yes, Clavamox contains two active ingredients; Amoxicillin trihydrate (a penicillin-type antibiotic) and Clavulanic acid or Clavulanate potassium (a beta-lactamase inhibitor).
So, pets with penicillin-allergy should avoid this medicine as it contains amoxicillin which may not be suitable for their body.
What are Penicillins?
Penicillins are a group of antibiotic drugs that are used to treat a broad range of infectious diseases caused by bacteria in humans, animals, and birds.
Penicillins are basically fungi molecules obtained from Penicillium moulds (fungi). Penicillium moulds produce penicillin (naturally) that is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections of a living body.
05 Antibiotics That Can Be Used In Penicillin Allergy
If your pet is allergic to penicillin-type antibiotic drugs including Clavamox (amoxicillin_and_clavulanic-acid) chewable tablets and 15ml liquid suspension, then you’re dog’s veterinarian may suggest other broad-spectrum antibacterial chemical compositions to your dog.
Here, I find it crucial to share Five of those antibiotics that are safe to use in pets with penicillin allergy.
- Ciprofloxacin: it’s a fluoroquinolone that can be used to treat a variety of bacterial infections of the intestines, respiratory tract, abdomen area, UTI’s (urinary tract infection) include bladder and kidney diseases caused by bacteria and other infectious diseases that are not described here.
- Clarithromycin: a macrolide (a group of antibiotics) drug that can be used against a vast of range gram-positive and gram-positive bacteria. It’s safe to use in penicillin allergy.
- Co-Trimoxazole: both trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole are safe to use in penicillin allergy. This antibiotic combination is really effective to treat soft tissue infections of the skin including wounds, abscesses, etc.
- Enrofloxacin: a fluoroquinolone drug, it’s FDA approved and strong antibiotic drug that treats all kinds of bacterial infections in dogs, cats, and other animals.
- Neomycin: an aminoglycosides antibiotic drug commonly used to treat skin bacterial infections. It comes in topical creams, ointments, lotions, ear/eyes/and nose drops form. So, it’s suitable for pets who have developed a bacterial infection of the ear, nose, eyes, and skin.
These five antibiotic drugs are safe to use in dogs, cats, and other animals who are allergic to penicillin-type antibiotics i.e. Clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate and clavulanic acid).
All antibiotics are prescription medicines that need a doctor’s prescription to purchase online and offline.