Dog owners may worry about their pet licking triple antibiotic ointment because it can potentially be toxic to their pet. The active ingredients in the ointment, such as neomycin and polymyxin B, can cause digestive and neurological problems if ingested in large amounts.

Dogs have a strong tendency to lick and ingest anything they come into contact with – which increases the risk of toxicity if the ointment is not stored or applied properly.

Some dogs may have a sensitivity or allergy to the ingredients in the ointment, which can lead to additional health concerns. The worry is due to the potential harm to the dog’s health and well-being!

In this Blog Post, I will give some advice on – what to do when your Dog has licked Triple Antibiotic Ointment – the health risks – and how to keep your Dog from licking on medical solutions.

What is Triple Antibiotic Ointment?

Triple Antibiotic Ointment is an over-the-counter topical medication used to treat and prevent infections in minor cuts, scrapes, and burns. It is widely available over-the-counter without a prescription.

Active Ingredients:

The active ingredients in Triple Antibiotic Ointment are Neomycin, Bacitracin, and Polymyxin B. These antibiotics work together to kill bacteria and prevent further infection!


Triple Antibiotic Ointment is easy to use, you simply apply a small amount to the affected area and cover it with a bandage if needed. It is very important to clean the affected area before applying the ointment to ensure proper healing.

Triple Antibiotic Ointment should not be used on deep or puncture wounds – or on areas with a high-risk of bacterial infections – such as the eyes or mouth of your Dog.

If your Dog´s Symptoms persist or worsen, it is recommended to seek medical attention.

What To Do If Your Dog Licked Triple Antibiotic Ointment?

Treating an injury on your furry friend can be a challenge, especially when it comes to preventing infections. That’s where Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be a lifesaver! But, let’s face it, the first thing our four-legged companions love to do is lick it off.

Don’t worry, Triple Antibiotic Ointment is safe for topical use on dogs but not for ingestion. But what if your dog licks it anyway? Well, it depends on how much they ingest.

If your dog has licked Triple Antibiotic Ointment – it is important to monitor their symptoms and seek veterinary advice if necessary. The amount of Ointment ingested -ä will determine the severity of any adverse reactions.

In general, small amounts of topical ointment are not toxic to dogs, but if a large amount was ingested it may cause digestive upset such as vomiting or diarrhea. If your dog experiences any concerning symptoms such as difficulty breathing, swelling, or an allergic reaction – please seek veterinary attention immediately.

It is always best to be cautious and err on the side of safety when it comes to your Dog’s Health. Contact your veterinarian for personalized advice and guidance. Your Vet will advice what Symptoms to observe, if your dog has licked Triple Antibiotic Ointment.

How to Keep Your Dog From Licking Triple Antibiotic Ointment?

Here are some tips to help keep your dog from licking Triple Antibiotic Ointment:

  1. Keep your dog occupied – Provide toys, bones, or other distraction toys – to keep your dog from licking the ointment.
  2. Use a cone – A cone or Elizabethan collar can prevent your dog from reaching the affected area and licking the ointment from the wound.
  3. Cover the area – Use a bandage or cloth to cover the affected area – this will make it more difficult for your dog to reach the area and lick the ointment off.
  4. Supervise – Make sure to supervise yourDog – Interrupt any licking behaviors if necessary.
  5. Reapply ointment ONLY as needed – Reapply the ointment as directed by your veterinarian, making sure to keep the affected area covered.
  6. Consult with your vet – If your dog is persistent in licking the ointment – please consult with your vet for any additional advice!

Remember – it is important to follow your veterinarian’s instructions and take all the necessary precautions to ensure that your dog is properly treated and prevented from further infection.

How Much Triple Antibiotic Ointment is Toxic for my Dog?

The toxicity of Triple Antibiotic Ointment in dogs depends on several factors, including the size of the dog, the amount ingested, and the individual dog’s sensitivity.

Ingesting a small amount of Triple Antibiotic Ointment is unlikely to cause serious harm – but if a large amount was ingested it may cause digestive upset such as vomiting or diarrhea. In severe cases, it may also cause an allergic reaction or difficulty breathing.

It is very difficult to determine a specific amount that is toxic for all dogs, as every dog is different and may react differently to the medication. It also depends on the size and weight of your Dog – How much Triple Antibiotic Ointment is toxic for your furry friend.

If you suspect your dog has ingested a significant amount of Triple Antibiotic Ointment – please seek veterinary attention immediately or call Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435.


Triple Antibiotic Ointment is a topical medication used to treat minor cuts and burns – but can be harmful if ingested by dogs.

Small amounts are unlikely to cause serious harm, but large amounts may cause digestive problems, allergic reactions, or difficulty breathing; if your dog has licked this ointment, it is important to monitor their symptoms and seek veterinary attention if necessary.

To prevent licking, keep the dog occupied, use a cone, cover the affected area – supervise! Reapply the Ointment only as directed, and when necessary. The toxicity depends on the size of the dog, amount ingested, and individual sensitivity.


Leave a Reply

Avatar placeholder

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

close X

Try The Best Rated Dog Food On Amazon

Ancient grains like grain sorghum, millet, quinoa and chia seed are naturally high in fiber and rich in protein. Unchanged for thousands of years, different grains provide various nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and omega fatty acids.