Today in the following article, I decided to discuss two highly effective drugs Simplicef and Benadryl, their benefits, dosage, interactions, and side effects for dogs, cats, and all types of canine and feline species. Simplicef is an antibiotic while Benadryl is an anti-allergic or anti-histamine medication. It’s important to know about their indications, interactions, and dose to avoid serious complications.
Simplicef is the trademark of the Pfizer pharmaceutical company. Its generic name is Cefpodoxime proxetil, which belongs to the cephalosporin class of antibiotic drugs. Cephalosporins treat bacterial infections by stopping the mechanism of cell wall synthesis of bacterial cells. So, they are effective against almost all types of gram-positive and gram-negative types of bacteria.
If a dog has developed a bacterial infection of the skin, urinary tract, nose/eye, or ear, etc. Then, you don’t need to worry because the cefpodoxime proxetil medication can treat all kinds of infectious diseases in dogs (caused by bacteria that contain a cell wall).
Benadryl on the other hand used to treat allergic reactions in dogs and other living organisms. It contains a chemical ingredient called “diphenhydramine” which is used to treat skin rashes, runny nose, pain, itching, burns, and other allergic conditions.
Simplicef and Benadryl Together For Dogs
But the question is “Can We Use Simplicef And Benadryl Together?“. So, the answer is a little complicated because there are not any side effects or adverse reactions found when the cefpodoxime proxetil and diphenhydramine are given together. But to avoid drug interaction, it is advised that you should never use them together in the following cases described below;
- In pregnant dogs, it is suggested to avoid taking cefpodoxime and diphenhydramine medication together. But a veterinarian may take a decision whether it is necessary or not.
- Nursing or lactating dogs.
- Dogs with a history of kidney disease.
- A dog with any liver illness.
What Does Benadryl Treats In Dogs?
- Skin rashes
- Itching due to insect bites
- Insect bites allergic reactions like rashes, itching, hair loss, etc
- Heat rashes (as it is also available in topical cream/spray form)
- Runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Swelling or inflammation
- Redness of skin
- Topical cream
- Topical spray
- Chewable tablets
- Liquid oral suspension
- Cooling gel form to prevent itching instantly
- Itch relief stick form
Side Effects Or Adverse Reactions
- Upset stomach
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal cramps
- Loss of appetite (anorexia)
- Increased thirst or drinking more water
- Change in behavior i.e, aggressiveness, barking, anxiousness, etc
Usually, diphenhydramine does not show adverse reactions but if you see any of the above by using this drug, immediately re-visit your dog’s veterinarian and consult about the situation.
What Does Simplicef Treats In Dogs?
- Urinary tract infections including bladder, ureters, urethra, and kidneys infection caused a bacterial accumulation.
- Bacterial infections of the nose, ear, and eyes
- Periodontal disease (swollen gums or other dental infections)
- Sore throat
- Skin bacterial diseases include folliculitis, cellulitis, pyoderma, and others.
- Paw infection
- All types of soft tissue infections
- Secondary infections are caused by viruses, parasites, and insect bites.